Dal makhani is a north indian dish made with whole black urad(sabut urad) . As the name suggests it has butter or cream which gives the dish a creamy and rich flavor. Although a very tasty dish and one of my favourite vegetarian dishes , I refrain from making it because of the calories. Every recipe I tried wouldn’t taste as good if I skipped the butter /cream.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4
- 250gms Sabut Urad(Whole Black Gram)
- 1 big Onion
- 3 Tomato
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 2 inch grated Ginger
- 1tsp Turmeric
- 3 tsp Red Chilli
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 3tbsp Kasuri Methi(Dried Fenugreek leaves)
- 0.5inch Cinamon
- 3tsp Cloves
- 3 tbsp Chana Dal(Bengal Gram)/Rajma(Red Kidney Beans
- 2 Green Chilli
- 0.5 Milk
- 1 tbsp Oil
1. Soak the urad dal for atleast 8 hours or overnight. 2. If using rajma soak that as well 3. Mix urad dal and chana dal/Rajma with enough water and pressure cook it for 3 whistles.One on high flame and two on low.Dont add too much water 4. Heat oil in a wok.Add cloves,cinamon green chillies,grated ginger and saute 5. Add kasuri methi,turmeric and fry for a minute. 6. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes 7. Add garam masala,red chilli powder and fry it.Then add tomato and saute for 2 minutes. 8. Add salt to taste. 9. Open the cooker and add the masala. 10. Check the consistency.Add hot water if needed. 11. Close the pressure cooker and cook for 2 more whistles 12. Open the cooker and mash everything a little bit.Add milk.Dont add all the milk at once. Add a little and check the taste.P.S:
1. Don't skip kasuri methi as it gives a very important flavour to the dish.
2.Add milk a little at a time.
3.Ghee can be used instead of oil.